Monday, October 9, 2017

The gospel brings happiness!

Hey guys!  It was a great week and Memphis continues to be awesome!  
Tuesday we had a district meeting.  After the meeting we went and helped 
a family move into a new home so that took awhile.  I always enjoy serving 
others so it was good.  Then that night we taught our English class.  

Wednesday was just a normal day.  We watched a bunch of videos to learn 
more about proselyting on Facebook.  That took a good chunk of time.  We 
then tried out some of the things we learned and were able to have a few 
conversations over Facebook messenger.  That evening we went to dinner 
and rode way out of Memphis, ok - not way out - but we left city limits and 
visited with some former investigators.  It was actually a pretty fun bike ride. 
When we got there they were just about to leave but we were able to talk to 
them.  They said they wanted us to come back so that is awesome.  We then
rode back closer to our apartment and visited a couple people there.  

Thursday we went and did some service at the library.  After that we had an 
awesome lesson with one of Elder Spencer's former investigator so that was 
cool.  She was actually really happy we came over and invited us back the 
same day next week.  After that lesson we went and visited a less active crazy 
Cuban named Rene.  While we were there some of his friends showed up.  He 
invited them all to church so they could find some good wives.  Elder Smalley 
and I just laughed because we really didn't know what to say after that.  Then 
that night we taught our English class again.  

Friday was amazing!  We spent most of the day in the presence of a General
Authority - Elder Klebingat.  We arrived about 8:45 am and the meeting began 
at 9:00.  It was a really relaxed meeting.  Elder Klebingat told us he didn’t really 
have an agenda and hadn’t prepared anything but he was prepared to answer 
all our questions.  We had a wonderful question and answer session.  Every 
question that was asked he answered.  He instructed us for about 5 hours on 
the fly.  It was really quite amazing.  We also discussed some really deep doctrine 
about the plan of salvation.  It was incredible.  He had forgotten his phone so he 
told us he was just going to call on us to read the scriptures - but he seriously 
rattled off reference after reference.  It was very impressive.  We really dove into 
what life was like with our Heavenly Father and the pre-existance and preparing 
to come to Earth.  We talked about how our world is the most wicked one that He 
created so that is why Christ came here.  This was a very scary thought to me but 
also so cool to think that our Heavenly Father trusted us enough to come here.  
Through his entire instruction I felt impressed to write down all the scriptures he 
referenced.  Most of them were about pre-Earth life.  This was very interesting 
and helpful to me because if you remember my patriarchal blessing talks about a 
lot about my pre-mortal life.  After his pre-mortal life instruction we had lunch.  Then 
during the afternoon we focused on how to improve our missionary skills.  He also 
really hit hard on the Book of Mormon.  The best part of to me was that he helped 
me see such simple principles taught in such a deep manner.  I don’t know if that 
makes sense but that is what it was like.  He also talked about the art of pondering 
along with our daily Book of Mormon study.  He instructed that part of our study time 
should be set aside for pondering so we can allow God to really talk to us.  I loved 
that thought.  It really was a wonderful day.  

During my personal study on Saturday I read my patriarchal blessing again and 
studied all the scriptures I wrote down the day before.  During this study time I 
received the coolest personal revelation that I have ever received my whole life!
Definitely the most amazing study experience I have ever had as a missionary.  
I am so grateful for this. 

Saturday night we had dinner with the wonderful Benitez family.  On Sunday 
we only had sacrament meeting because we combined with the English ward 
and had a linger longer after to break our fast.  Elder Klebingat was definitely 
the highlight of the week.  Being in his presence was such a huge testimony 
builder for me.  I know that the plan of salvation is essential knowledge for us 
to have to understand our purpose in life.  I also know that the Book of Mormon 
contains the steps we need to fulfill our purpose here on Earth.  
The gospel is so amazing!  

"So that those who believe in God may have the firm hope of a better
world, yea, even a place to the right hand of God; and this hope comes
by faith, provides an anchor to the souls of men And makes them secure
and firm, always continue in good works, being driven to glorify God."
-Ether 12:4


This is one of my favorite scriptures. We live in a crazy world. I know I can always 
find peace in the words of the prophets. I know that if we have faith in God, nothing 
can discourage us and we will always be happy.

The gospel bring so much happiness to people.  I have decided that being happy is 
way more fun than being sad.  And if we have nothing else to make us happy we will 
always have our foundation in the gospel. That’s the amazing thing about this plan.  
I love it and I love you all!  

Love Elder Merrill


MEMPHIS SPANISH DISTRICT
Hermana Robles & Keller, Elders Merrill, Sotomarino, Short, & Smalley 

Elder Klebingat & President Hansen
Elder Merrill arriving to be inspired by Elder Klebingat

No comments:

Post a Comment