Monday, June 18, 2018

The Lord was saving the best for last!

Hey guys!  The past couple weeks have been so great.  We have been 
really busy teaching.  I think we have taught a sit down lesson everyday.  
It has been so awesome!  We also had dinner with a member here who 
made us some amazing Mexican tacos. I have been missing Mexican 
food so it was delicious! 

Last Tuesday we went to Memphis for Zone Conference.  Elder Perkins 
of the Seventy came to visit.  We had an awesome meeting.  It was quite 
different than many of our other meetings with General Authorities.  He 
taught us some great missionary skills I will be able to use my last two 
weeks here AND after I return home.  He also gave us some really good 
returning home from our mission advice.  He told us that it is a lot easier 
to stay in spiritual condition than to get back into it.  For some reason that 
really hit home for me. It makes me sad when missionaries say that they 
need to take a little break when they return  home.  Serving a mission has 
made me super excited to serve in the church.  

Wednesday was an awesome missionary day!  We finished the lessons 
with Kenny in preparation for his baptism Saturday.  We also had a visit 
with Jack.  That night we taught one of our best Book of Mormon classes 
and I typed up baptismal program. 

Thursday we began exchanges with the Zone leaders and had Kenny’s 
baptismal interview.  I served with Elder Murdock.  He was in Memphis 
when I was there and it was fun to serve with him again.  We had a good 
exchange in Batesville together.  We ended up getting a Bible referral for 
a homeless guy.  We met with him in the local park and had a 45 minute 
lesson that went really well.  We don’t really know what the policy is with 
teaching homeless people and need to find out. 

Friday we exchanged back and Elder Asay and I did our weekly planning.  
We then went to visit Jack again.  Jack called us a couple weeks ago and 
said he wanted to meet with us. He has been through all the discussions 
twice and read the Book of Mormon once.  He didn’t get baptized before 
because he found some anti stuff against the church.  Our first lesson we 
had with him he told us he wanted to get baptized for real this time so we 
set a date for this Saturday.  It has been really amazing to work with him.  
We have taught him all the lessons and are having his baptismal interview 
this week!  We are super excited. 

Saturday was definitely the highlight of our week thanks for Kenny baptism.  
Everything went great.  He has a sister that is a member who lives in Little 
Rock at the moment but she is moving to Batesville in about a week.  We 
called and asked her to speak on baptism.  She did a great job and she was 
so excited to see her brother get baptized!  I baptized him and it was a really 
special experience for me.  He is the first person on my mission that I have 
taught every lesson to and then baptized.  It really was a special day that I 
will always remember.  I still think it is funny that we had our very first lesson 
at Hardees (the Carl’s junior of the south).  From that moment on he just ate 
everything we said up.  He loved every minute of learning the gospel.  It has 
all just been a really awesome experience. 

Sunday we confirmed Kenny.  There was such an amazing spirit.  He was so 
excited to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.  After church we had our monthly 
potluck that was delicious.  

Batesville has been a pretty special place for me and I will be sad to leave. I 
have had more success here than in any other area of my mission.  I guess 
the Lord was saving the best for last!  I definitely have a strong testimony 
now of enduring to the end.  Sometimes we might not be able to see it, but 
there will always be a blessing waiting for us at the end of the tunnel.  
I love you guys!  I’m excited to see you in a couple weeks! 

Love Elder Merrill 
ELDER MARRINER KADEN MERRILL

Elder Asay and Elder Merrill 
at Zone Conference in Memphis

Zone Conference lunch

Elder Smalley & Elder Merrill

Kenny's Baptism!  
I gave Kenny this tie for his baptism

I feel like you would only see this in the South - ha ha

Zone P-day in Jonesboro today!

No comments:

Post a Comment