Monday, June 25, 2018

Another Baptism in Batesville

Hey guys!  It was another awesome week here in Batesville, Arkansas!  
Tuesday we had some really good lessons which was nice.  We finished 
teaching the lessons to Jack in preparation for his baptism.  That evening 
Brother Traylor took us out to the nicest restaurant in Batesville as a little 
going away party for me.  I ate some of the best chicken I’ve ever had in 
my life.  I'm really going to miss that guy! 

Wednesday we held our Book of Mormon class and went on exchanges 
with the Mountain View Elders.  I spent most of the day in Mountain View 
Wednesday as well as Thursday.  It is a really fun place - it's the folk music 
capital of the world.  As you walk around in the evenings people are always 
sitting around the parks picking on their guitars.  It was fun to walk around 
and listen to all the music.  The Elder I was serving with there returns home 
with me so we had a great time talking about our missions and what we are 
going to do when we get home.  We exchanged back Thursday evening.  
That night we had Jack’s baptismal interview and basketball night.  

Friday was another good day.  We went and visited Jack and got everything 
planned for his baptism Saturday.  We also did our weekly planning.  That 
always seems to drags on forever so I'm kind of glad it was my last one. That 
evening we had a couple lessons which went well.  We also typed up Jack’s 
baptism program and made all of the copies.

Saturday was easily the highlight of the week because it was Jack’s baptism!  
Jack has been such an awesome person to get to know.  He is such a great 
example to me.  He has been meeting on and off with missionaries for the 
past five years.  He has completed all of the missionary lessons three times 
and has read the Book of Mormon almost twice.  I feel so blessed that I am 
serving in Batesville at this time - the time when Jack was prepared to follow 
our Savior Jesus Christ.  He really is an amazing person.  He has been blind
almost his entire life but he doesn't let it stop him.  He plays the guitar really 
well and has taught me some fun stuff that I'm excited to try when I get home.  
His baptism went really great.  His daughter came to support him.  She lives 
in Little Rock and is a non-member.  He was so excited that she came.  He 
now wants to send the missionaries to teach her - ha ha.  President Vaughn, 
our Branch President, baptized Jack.  After the baptism we went over to the 
Wahlquist's home to eat and hang out for a bit. I am going to miss their family.  
After all of that we did our studies for the day and contacted a few people.  

Jack was confirmed in sacrament meeting on Sunday by Brother Traylor.  It 
was really special.  We also had some really great meetings about missionary 
work and ministering.  After church we went to a birthday party for a less active 
member's son for a bit.  Then that evening we had dinner with the Simmon's 
family.  They are a new family in the branch that we met at basketball night.  
They moved here from New Jersey not too long ago. I discovered that Kinkade
served in their ward and they got to know him really well.  They thought it was 
pretty cool that I knew him and had played baseball with him.  It truly is a small, 
wonderful world in the church. 

This morning we went to visit Jack.  He gave me a gift - a ukulele.  He noticed 
that every time we were at his house I would pick up one of his ukuleles up and 
play it so he thought I would enjoy taking one home.  I was really touched by his 
kindness.  I will always remember Jack.  I will always remember so many people 
who have changed my life for the better while serving as a missionary.  I feel so 
blessed to have served here in the Arkansas Little Rock Mission.  It's really hard 
to believe it will all be over in 10 days and will return home and take off the tag.    

Thanks for sending pictures of the boys in their baseball uniforms.  I actually miss 
playing sometimes.  I’m excited to take them over to the park when I get home and 
play some ball!   Well I can’t wait to see y’all!  Love you!

Love Elder Merrill
Elder Merrill with his gifted ukelele

Elder Asay & Elder Merrill with Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment