Monday, August 21, 2017

Memphis Red Birds & Beale Street Blues

Hey guys!  The mission is still going great and I am so happy!  
Thanks for sharing the Gordon B. Hinckley quote, "Forget 
yourself and go to work."  That quote floats around the mission 
field a lot.  It's kinda crazy how when you are working so hard 
and constantly thinking of what you can do for your investigators 
you can feel so happy. I don't think I have have ever been so tired 
and so happy at the same time.  It's a weird feeling sometimes.  
It's hard to let a little thing like fatigue get you down when you see 
someone change their life because of the message you shared.  
One thing I have definitely learned is that no matter how good you 
are at talking to people or teaching, none of it matters if you don't 
have the spirit with you.  No one remembers what you say most 
of the time, but they always remember how they felt. 

This week was pretty good, it was really busy with meetings so we 
didn't have as much proselyting time as we usually do.  Tuesday 
we had interviews with President Hansen which took a while.  I 
have decided that it is really hard to run on time as a Mission 
President.  In my interview I asked him about going to a baseball 
game on P-day.  To be honest I thought he would say no. I explained 
that the game started at noon and would end before P-day was over.  
He said as long as it was over before P-day ended we were good to go.  
I was so pumped!  Ever since I got to Memphis I have been watching the 
schedule to see if the Red Birds ever played on a Monday afternoon.  
was shocked when I actually found a game that would work out.  What 
team plays on a Monday at noon after school has started?  I considered 
it an amazing tender mercy - haha!  We went to the game today and it 
was amazing!  The stadium is downtown Memphis and it was so cool.  
The Red Birds won 5-1.  We saw 3 home runs.  Apparently with this win 
they set the record for most wins in a season for the team.  I love baseball!
It has been such a big part of my life and it was so amazing to be there.  

Zone Conference was this past Wednesday.  I always look forward to this 
because it is always awesome.  President Hansen instructed us on using 
technology more in our proselyting.  He also dropped some pretty strong 
hints we might be getting Facebook soon.  We also found out that we are 
singing at a fireside in October.  I's so excited to sing in an organized choir 
again.  They gave us the sheet music at zone conference and I'm not gonna 
lie, it felt amazing to hold choir music in my hands again. I have really missed
singing in choir.

Thursday was just a normal day, but Friday was a long day.  We were going
to bike that day so we ran to the store to get a tube for Elder Smalley's tire.  
We ended up with the wrong size so we went to exchange it and they didn't 
have his size.  So we went to another store, and another, another, and then 
another.  We finally found the right tube but when Elder Smalley went to put 
it on his bike he poked a hole in it!  So we took it off, patched it up, and finally
headed on our way.  Saturday was a good normal day and church on Sunday 
is always a good time!  I love Sunday's now. 

I can't believe the summer is almost over.  It will be Christmas before we know 
it and then I will get to see you guys over Skype again!  I can't believe I have 
been out serving for 13 months!   On Saturday called Elder Toomer and his 
companion, who is Elder Giles now.  Elder Toomer brought up our 13 month
mark and honestly I hadn't even realized it until he said it.  Seems like we were
just in the SLC Airport together boarding the plane bound for the Mexico CCM!  
Crazy how fast the time is going.  I love you all!  Have a great week!

Love Elder Merrill


MEMPHIS RED BIRDS BASEBALL GAME






Elder Merrill's new hat


Elder Merrill was in heaven today at the baseball field!  


Elder Merrill in Memphis, TN

Elder Anaya & Elder Merrill at Zone Conference


MORE MEMPHIS ZOO PICS from last P-day






BEALE STREET in MEMPHIS

Memphis Blues playing on Beale Street


No comments:

Post a Comment